Sacramento Sex Crimes Lawyer
Defending Clients Accused Of Sex Crimes in Sacramento County
Sex crimes are some of the most serious offenses a person can be charged with. They include rape, oral copulation, child abuse, child pornography, and sexual battery. While some can be misdemeanors, others can be felonies. A conviction at either level carries serious penalties, including incarceration and fines. However, sex offenses are unique in that anyone found guilty may be required to register as a sex offender. This requirement means that the individual must report annually to their local law enforcement agency to record their personal identifying information. These details are put into a database; some may be accessible to the public, creating a stigma that makes it hard for the individual to re-enter society.
If you're facing accusations, reach out to our Sacramento sex crimes attorney at the Law Office of Gilbert B. Vega. We recognize what the allegations can do to a person's relationship, career, and future. That is why we fight aggressively to seek favorable outcomes for our clients. Our approach involves listening to our clients' sides of the story, as well as their goals, analyzing evidence, and researching relevant case law. Leveraging this method, we can develop comprehensive and thoughtful defense strategies.
Are you facing serious charges for a sex crime? Call the Law Office of Gilbert B. Vega today at (916) 249-9417 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation with our sex crimes attorney in Sacramento.
Types Of Sex Crimes in California
Sex offenses are acts with sexual undertones. That may include sexual penetration or contact, exposing one's genitals, or lewd and lascivious behavior, among other conduct. California has several laws concerning sex crimes. If you have been charged, it is important that you entrust your case to a lawyer with experience fighting these types of allegations.
At the Law Office of Gilbert B. Vega, we provide representation for a range of offenses, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Child sexual abuse: California Penal Code § 288.5 provides that it is a crime for a person to engage in 3 or more acts of sexual abuse on a person under 14 years of age for at least 3 months when the actor lives with or has recurring access to the child.
- Indecent exposure: Under California Penal Code § 314, it's unlawful for anyone to expose their genitals in a public place where others may be offended.
- Lewd and lascivious acts with a child: Engaging in lewd or lascivious acts upon a child's body to arouse or gratify sexual desires is a misdemeanor or felony under California Penal Code § 288.
- Child pornography: California's child pornography laws are contained in section 311 of the Penal Code. They prohibit sending, duplicating, publishing, and producing materials depicting a child engaged in sexual conduct.
- Sexual battery: According to California Penal Code § 243.4, a person commits this crime when they touch another individual's intimate parts for sexual arousal or abuse without consent and when that person is unlawfully restrained.
- Rape: The offense occurs when someone has sexual intercourse with another person who did not consent, was unable to resist, was unconscious of the act, was threatened, or acquiesced because of deceit (California Penal Code § 261).
California Penalties for Sex Crimes
The consequences of being convicted of a sexual offense will vary. Some crimes are misdemeanors, carrying a jail term of up to 1 year. Others are felonies and can result in a prison sentence for years, decades, or life.
Additionally, those found guilty of certain sex crimes may be required to register as sex offenders. Once a year (and anytime they experience a change in their circumstances), they must report to their local law enforcement agency.
Tiers For Sex Offender Registration
The duration of the sex offender registration requirement depends on the individual's tier. The tiers are determined by risk scores and other factors, including whether the individual is a repeat offender.
Individuals must register as follows:
- Tier one: a minimum of 10 years
- Tier two: a minimum of 20 years
- Tier three: life
Contact Our Sex Crimes Attorney in Sacramento Today
At the Law Office of Gilbert B. Vega, our Sacramento sex crimes attorneys aggressively fight to protect the rights and futures of those accused of serious crimes. Leveraging our skills and knowledge, we seek just outcomes for our clients.
Contact the Law Office of Gilbert B. Vega today to get started on your defense with our Sacramento sex crimes lawyer.
First Degree Murder
Case dismissed after 20 hours community service
Identity theft count dismissed at trial
Client found not guilty at trial
Rape of a Child
One year of county jail/five years' probation
Case dismissed at preliminary hearing.
Case Dismissed prior to trial
Disobeying a Court Order